Travel credit cards are a great way to take advantage of the perks (think: earning miles, upgrades, and free stays) of regular travel.
The Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card and American Express Platinum are not only solid options for travel, but also allow you to earn miles on your daily expenses, which can then be translated into free flights, upgrades, stays at home. hotel, etc.
In a word
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is for people who want an easy-to-use travel credit card that still offers traditional perks like 2x miles on every purchase, 10x on hotels and rental cars, and 5x on flights when they’re booked through Capital One Travel.
- American Express Platinum is for those who want access to some of the best travel perks on the market and don’t mind paying for it.
|Mark||Best for||Particularities||Annual subscription|
|Capital One Venture X Rewards Card||Those who want an easy to use travel credit card.||Simple perks like annual booking credits, a birthday bonus and access to lounges.||$ 395||Learn more|
|American Express Platinum||Those who want to access top travel benefits.||Travel credit card established with some of the best benefits on the market, at a cost.||$ 695||Learn more|
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is Capital One’s latest offering. It is distinguished by easy-to-use advantages and flexibility.
Features of the Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card
The Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card offers several easy-to-use benefits, such as annual booking credits, birthday bonuses, and lounge access.
Another bonus? Its annual fee of just $ 395 is also lower for a premium travel card.
- The Capital One company X Rewards credit card has an annual membership fee of $ 395.
- Cardholders earn 2x miles on each purchase, 10x on hotels and rental cars, and 5x on flights booked through Capital One Travel. They can also earn up to $ 300 annual credit for travel booked through Capital One Travel.
- The Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card user gifts 10,000 bonus miles (equivalent to approximately $ 100 to spend on travel) each account anniversary.
- Uunlimited access to the airport lounge at over 1,300 Priority Pass lounges internationally.
Special Features of the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
Additional perks include up to $ 100 credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry, a must-have for all seasoned travelers, as well as a 100,000 mile welcome bonus after spending $ 10,000 on purchases in the first 6 month.
Another advantage? The $ 200 time-limited statement credit for vacation rentals billed to your account in the first year, such as Airbnb or VRBO.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card Fees
Like any high-end or premium travel credit card, you’ll need to pay an annual fee. But the Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card fee of $ 395 is on the lower end of the range, especially compared to American Express Platinum’s hefty $ 695 fee.
Capital One Venture X Rewards Pros and Cons of Credit Cards
Before signing on the dotted line for a Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card, be sure to consider both the pros and cons.
- Low annual fees.
- Easy to use benefits, such as 2x miles earned on each purchase, 10x on hotels and rental cars, and 5x on flights booked through Capital One Travel.
- Annual reservation credits, birthday bonus and access to lounges.
- Possibility of earning additional benefits, like 100,000 bonus miles with $ 10,000 in purchases in the first 6 months after opening your account, or a $ 200 credit with vacation rentals like Airbnb or VRBO.
- Welcome bonus spending the threshold is on the upper end.
- Flight benefits are limited to those booked through Capital One Travel.
Why choose the Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card?
The Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card is a solid choice for those looking to delve into the world of travel credit card benefits. That’s because it offers several simple perks, like 2x miles on every purchase, 10x on hotels and rental cars, and 5x on flights booked through Capital One Travel.
This card also offers annual travel credits, an annual anniversary reward of 10,000 bonus miles and access to Capital One Lounges and over 1,300 Priority Pass lounges around the world.
And don’t forget the 100,000 welcome bonus miles when you spend $ 10,000 within 6 months of opening the card.
Coupled with a lower annual fee of $ 395, it’s an easy choice for travelers who want a simple experience, yet still packed with benefits.
American Express Platinum
American Express Platinum has long been touted as one of the best travel credit cards in the industry.
Features American Express Platinum
American Express Platinum offers a long list of travel benefits.
- 1x on everything purchases.
- 5x points on prepaid flights and hotels booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel.
- Up to $ 200 annual hotel credit on selected hotels.
- Up to $ 200 air transportation charge credit.
- Up to $ 240 annual digital entertainment credit.
- Up to $ 300 annual credit to Equinox.
- $ 200 in Uber Cash or up to $ 100 in annual Saks credit.
- Access to more than 1,300 airport lounges at more than 500 airports around the world.
Are you a travel foodie? You will also get 10x on qualifying restaurants worldwide.
The welcome bonus of the card is also solid: you will earn a welcome bonus of 100,000 points when you spend $ 6,000 in the first six months of owning the card.
Special Features American Express Platinum
One thing this card has a lot about is statement credits. Whether it’s a $ 200 annual airfare credit, $ 200 in Uber Cash or a $ 200 hotel credit, an annual $ 100 Saks credit or a $ 240 annual credit for digital entertainment will save you on your trips somewhere. What about fitness junkies? There is also an annual Equinox credit of $ 300.
Another interesting feature is the $ 179 CLEAR credit on the card. CLEAR is a biometric screening tool that helps you go through security checks faster and is available at some airports. This bonus covers the cost of an annual CLEAR membership.
American Express Platinum Fee
The annual fee for the American Express Platinum card is $ 695, so certainly the most upscale for a premium travel card. But, with its many benefits and statement credits, you’ll likely recoup that cost.
Pros and Cons of American Express Platinum
Before opening your own American Express Platinum Card, be sure to consider the pros and cons.
- Long list of benefits, such as 5x points earned on prepaid flights and hotels booked directly through airlines or American Express Travels, as well as statement credits ranging from airline and hotel credits to CLEAR or Equinox memberships.
- Established, user-friendly map.
- Solid welcome bonus 100,000 points after spending $ 6,000 in the first six months of opening the card.
- High annual subscription.
- Benefits can be hard to navigate for those new to travel credit cards.
Why choose American Express Platinum?
The American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card is ideal for seasoned travelers accustomed to navigating the travel rewards space. Its benefits are long, from 1x on all purchases, 5x points on prepaid flights and hotels booked direct with airlines or American Express Travel, to a respectable welcome bonus of 100,000 (when you spend $ 6,000 in 6 months after opening the card).
And that’s not to mention the long litany of credits on annual statements, on everything from luxury purchases and gym memberships to airline and hotel credits.
This card is a good card to choose if you travel often, tend to stay in luxury hotels, and spend enough each year to offset your annual fees.
Both the Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card and the American Express Platinum credit card are solid choices when it comes to travel credit cards.
While the American Express Platinum offers a long list of benefits, the Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card may be a bit easier to use for those new to travel cards. Plus, it offers all the benefits expected from a travel card: 2x miles on every purchase, 10x on hotels and rental cars, and 5x on flights when booked directly with Capital One Travel, plus a 100,000 welcome bonus, with a low annual cost.